Friday, January 2, 2009

Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 vs. Topcor 58mm f/1.4

The Voigtlander Nokton is one of the most respected of the 50-58s lenses bokeh wise.
Since I got my Nokton I was always happpy with it, but I kept asking myself how will the original Topcor 58mm f/1.4 do in comparison with the Cosina made copy.

The contenders:







Here is the test scene. With all the metallic objects the scene is really tough for these lenses:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/3105276089_dcb05bc9c3_b.jpg


Bokeh comparison at f/1.4:

Voigtlander Nokton


Topcor:


Full size center crops are here (click on the image to see full size crops):


I see the bokeh of the Topcor slightly softer. Also the Nokton appears slightly sharper (or is it just better contrast) than the Topcor at f/1.4.

If you look at the OOF highlight rings, the Topcor has complete circles while the Nokton shows coma aberration (see the viking with the arrows and the red flower).
Leaving this aside the bokeh of the Topcor appears a tiny bit more pleasant.

After I did some pixel peeping I notice the big difference in sharpnes and CA/PF between the two lenses at apertures f/2.8, f/4 and f/5.6. The Topcor seems to resolve better and there is almost no CA at f/2.8, while the Nokton has some even at f/4. At f/8 I am not able to distinguish between the two. But what I see is that some of the most used aperture range is actually better with Topcor.

These are 200% crops:

nokton@f/2.8


topcor@f/2.8


nokton@f/4



topcor@f4



nokton@f/5.6



topcor@f/5.6


The only advantage in sharpness of the Nokton is at apertures f/1.4 and f/2. But then from f/2.8 the game changes and the Topcor resolves much better than the Nokton.

0 comments: